ANIMATION IS FILM is a major animation festival produced by GKIDS in collaboration with Annecy International Animation Film Festival and Variety. The event takes place every October at the historic TCL Chinese 6 Theatres in Hollywood.
ANIMATION IS FILM fills a gap in the market by launching a world class animation festival in the US, with its home in the world capital of filmmaking. The Festival embraces the highest aspirations of animation as a cinematic art form on par with live action, and is a vocal advocate for filmmakers who push the boundaries of their work to the fullest range of expression that the medium is capable of.
The purpose of the Festival is to:
- Present a highly selective, annual showcase of the best new works of animation from around the world, with programs for both adults and families.
- Champion and support filmmakers who use animation to pursue unique cinematic visions and who are unconstrained by conventional notions of what animation is capable of.
- Champion and support women filmmakers.
- Champion and support filmmakers from a wide range of cultural, economic, national and geographic backgrounds.
- Have a positive impact on Los Angeles’ diverse communities by making the Festival programs available to the widest range of audiences.